It’s been a few years since I started using Snapchat. I downloaded the app during a news broadcast when I heard that Mark Zuckerberg wanted to buy the social media app. Evan Speigel, Robert Murphy and Reggie brown are the co-founders and owners of Snapchat that never sold their trending app. The app is mostly used by millennials and the igeneration. I vaguely remember my 14 year old at the time telling me the app had an age limit. She almost had me convinced.
Now that’s it’s been a few years using Snapchat, this is what I know:
- Millennials are clearly using this tool to communicate with their friends. All 5 of my kids use the tool daily. The 26 and and 25 year olds use it differently than the high schoolers. My youngest doesn’t snap as much but clearly uses the chat tool to communicate.
- Millennials and the generation are getting their news from this app in the Discover section.
- It’s a great way to build a story for business and build followers that might not follow you on Facebook or Twitter
- Snapchat uses geofilters. Not sure what that is? Small businesses can build their own filters to build awareness about their new products and services or to promote an event. I recently created a geofilter for a tradeshow and a geofilter for my kids homecoming dance. One of the filters from the homecoming dance generated 87,000 views. That’s 87,000 more opportunities for your business.
- We can create 10 second snaps and re-purpose those snaps on other social media platforms. Re-direct your current followers to Snapchat and share new or different content. A great place to build a short series of snaps about your business.
- Not quite ready for Snapchat? Create an account and let someone else in your company manage it for you. You social media team can create a behind the scenes experience. Bring your fans into your office.
If you haven’t considered Snapchat, download it today and check it out. I am sure your kids can teach you how to use it. If not, register for my online course at www.SmartGirlUniversity.com or click here.