It’s not a secret. The hardest thing for a real estate agent is running their business like a business. Trust me when I say, “I get it”. Running a business, generating leads and managing clients is a lot of work for one agent. So why is it so hard?
- It’s hard because we don’t plan or create a business plan.
- Being your own boss means you have to choose what to do every single day. Should I work, play, shop or clean house.
- Getting up and getting out the door can be hard when you don’t have structure.
- Managing people is just plain old HARD.
- Staying organized and keeping up with the mundane tasks can become overwhelming.
So how do we overcome these obstacles? Some of us might need a coach, an accountability partner, or an actual assistant. A few ways to overcome a few obstacles include:
- We hear it every year, but do you actually create a business plan? A business plan will change the way you do business. If For Sale By Owners are not a part of your business plan then you won’t go after For Sale By Owner opportunities. When you build a business plan and stick to it, you’ll find out that your business will run like a business.
- Start with a budget. How much money will you spend on marketing, advertisement, bookkeeping, office supplies, lead generation, etc? When you know how much you want to spend then you know how much business you’ll need to pay for those expenses.
- Why are you in the real estate business? If you know why it’s much easier to “START” each day. Your “WHY” will motivate you. Not sure what your “WHY” might be? Start simple. I am selling real estate because…………. Now complete the statement.
Yes, I have a why! I am in Real Estate so I am available for my kids. Watch below to learn more.
This year I am running my training business and real estate business like a business. So what’s new:
- We hired an accountant.
- We are working with Quickbooks and using Microsoft Excel to manage commission statements until we find an awesome program.
- We are using a new program that has a true CRM integration with transaction management and a drip campaign. The tools also has video marketing included for only $25/month.
- I have an awesome new website with my own IDX feed. It’s not live yet, so watch for updates!
- We are also working with a true budget and business plan
- Wait for it! I should have a buyer’s agent soon.
Now tell me how you run your business like a business.