Acting is often the easiest step to take when starting something new. So, why won’t we ACT? There are many reason we don’t act or simply start. When I educate agents on social media and digital marketing, the comments I hear include:
Carrie, “I’m just too old.”
“I don’t want everyone to see my personal information”
“What if I make a mistake?”
“I don’t have time to learn something new.”
“Who has time for this?”
“I’m not sure where to begin”
The list goes on and on. Many have excuses, however, if the truth be told, the way we engage with consumers is changing. If we don’t ACT on Social Media, we might be replaced by the agent that is willing to ACT.
Maybe I can help. If you are challenged with the Top 7 Reasons We Don’t Act on Social Media, I have solutions for you. Don’t let the 7 Reasons keep you from acting.
1. Not sure where to begin? Pick one of your social media accounts and schedule time to learn it. Have conversation with the people on your personal page. If you have a business page, share content about your communities, your listings, upcoming events and things to do in the areas you farm.
2. I don’t have time for social media. No time for social media? Really? You have time to build a brand, generate leads, and build relationships. We do this everyday. If you adjust your week and schedule your social media marketing, you can take time to be social. There are many ways to plan your social media marketing. You may choose to take 15 minute a day to market on social media. Another option might be to take two hours, one day, a week to pre-schedule your marketing. What works for you? How much time do you spend talking in the office? Take this time to plan your social media.
3. I don’t know the rules for advertising on social media – The rules are simple. Read the terms of agreement for social media. Facebook wants you to have a business page if you are selling something. Adhere to real estate license law and the Code of Ethics. If your goal is to generate a lead when you post on social media, make sure the average consumer knows who the sponsoring brokerage is, don’t share other agents listings without permission and don’t share anything that’s a violation of Fair Housing. Think before you post. If it doesn’t seem right, it might not be ok to post.
4. I don’t have any followers! You didn’t have buyers and sellers when you became a real estate agent. THINK! How can you gain followers on social media? Add your social media links to your direct mail marketing, to your email signature, and invite your sphere to like your pages with an email blast.
5. Video – No way, I do not want to be seen on camera. I am with you on this one! I don’t like to be seen on camera. I don’t even like to watch my own videos. If the truth be told, I create video and avoid watching them. When I was a teenager I would break out in a sweat if I had to speak in front of the class. Couldn’t figure out why. Now I know. When you know your subject speaking in front of people or video is easy. So, If I can do it, you can do it.
6. I don’t know what to say on video or Facebook Live, Instagram Live or Periscope. Just like talking to your clients you can talk on video. When you became a new agent, you were scripted. We used notes to speak intelligently to our clients. That’s exactly what you’ll do when creating video. Script yourself. Use bullet points to begin. If you’re extremely uncomfortable have someone interview you. Try the prompter app from your Google Play Store or your Apple App store to get started.
7. Procrastination – most struggle with not starting because of anxiety and stress. We often procrastinate because learning something new might be difficult. Don’t let putting off something new. Start using social media on purpose today.
Social Media has been around for years. Many of the early, non-college students, began using Facebook in 2008 or 2009. If you were lucky enough to start using social media in the early adoption years, understanding the functionality is easier to understand. If not, don’t waste another day. Integrate social media marketing into your business plan. Visit my YouTube channel on Facebook and get started today.