As a practicing agent and now broker owner, I’ve used social media with intention for the last five years. In 2008 when I was introduced to Facebook, I had no idea that I would be able to build a successful lead generation platform online. There is truth in the fact, “everything works, if you work”. When you actively use social media to build a business, you too can generate leads that convert and close.
How do we do it? In the beginning of my social media journey, I used it to connect with old friends from elementary and high school. Planning the high school reunion was easy. Easy to find old friends with a few clicks. Since 2008 Facebook has gone through many changes. We have personal pages, groups, business pages, the ability to sell our stuff, watch the latest Facebook shows and pay to advertise. And Wait, Facebook isn’t the only platform to build an online business. My go to tools include, Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, twitter, Pinterest and LinkedIn. Yep, in that order. I get more business and engagement from Facebook and Snapchat.
Steps to guaranteed leads on social media:
1. Increase your connections on Social Media. If you are using Facebook and you don’t have a network, friends, how can you convert your network into leads? Facebook allows 5000 friends. Your goal is to get there. Maybe not overnight. Patience and starting is the key to your social success. Start with connecting with people from the past. High school, college, friends, family and people from your past jobs. These are people that may already know you.
2. Be human on social media. Are you posting everyone else’s content? If you are, you’re not authentic you. Be yourself on social media.
- Tell your story – example, your home buying experience
- Why you are in the real estate business.
- Who are you outside of real estate?
- What are your hobbies?
3. Engage and build relationships with your network on social media. If you only watch what people do on social media, you won’t generate leads. People, friends and family want to work with the person that they know or the person the feel like they know. The watcher on social media is like the person that sits on the porch all day and watches the neighborhood. Be the person on the porch that knows everything happening in the neighborhood, says hello to everyone that walks by and invites their neighbors over for coffee. Engage with your friends posts on social media. If you like what was shared, make a comment! The more you engage on social media the more likely someone will reach out to you when the time comes to buy or sell a house.
4. Meet with your network outside of social media. Yes, I mean it! Go to dinner, have coffee go to networking events, a sporting event or invite your friends over for dinner. The more personable you are outside of social media the more relate-able you are. Then connect on social media. Follow Sheena Baker on Instagram to see how it’s done!
5. Create relevant and consumable content. Video and the written word. Remind your followers that you are a real estate agent. Create a call to action.
6. Next Steps! Start building on Social Media today. Don’t think to hard about this stuff. You’ll be glad you started today a year from now. follow me on Instagram, IGTV and Snapchat today. @CarrieJoLittle